WHAT IS SHADES FOR MIGRAINE?
Shades for Migraine® is a global social media awareness campaign led by The Association of Migraine Disorders. Every June, (Migraine and Headache Awareness Month) SFM encourages people to show their support for the 1 billion people living with migraine disease worldwide. Showing support is simple! On June 21, post a picture wearing sunglasses on social media and use the #ShadesForMigraine.
MISSION AND VISION
Shades for Migraine spreads awareness and education to reduce stigma and shows support for those living with migraine disease.
We strive for a world where people understand that:
- Migraine disease is a leading cause of disability worldwide.
- Migraine disease is more than a headache— it is a debilitating neurological disease with a spectrum of symptoms.
- Migraine is an invisible disease. People are affected in many ways that others cannot see.
Shades for Migraine is designed to:
- Create a social media buzz about migraine disease
- Encourage people to:
- Spread awareness about the disease
- Share their migraine story
- Share educational resources about migraine
- Teach the general public about what migraine disease really is through awareness outreach
Sunglasses are one of the few visible indicators that someone may be having a migraine attack. Sun and light sensitivity is a common migraine symptom, and sunglasses can provide relief.
As purple represents migraine awareness, Shades for Migraine adopted purple sunglasses.
As a result of the Shades for Migraine campaign, sunglasses, specifically with purple frames or lenses, have become globally recognized as the symbol of migraine awareness.
HISTORY OF SHADES FOR MIGRAINE
The Association of Migraine Disorders launched Shades for Migraine in 2017 as a way to create a viral buzz around a migraine disease. SFM is an opportunity for people to share their connection to migraine disease, in the hopes of spurring more conversation.
Since 2017, a coalition of more than 50 migraine-related organizations and bloggers have come together to promote Shades For Migraine to make the biggest impact. Each year, Shades for Migraine engages over 20 million individuals, drawing participation from more than 40 countries.