What does it mean to be a Shades for Migraine Community Leader?
Being a community leader means you will spread the Shades for Migraine message within your community, equipped with resources provided by SFM. You will help educate and connect with people in your community to not only raise awareness about migraine disease but to introduce them to a world of resources that can help on their migraine journeys. This position will be needed from March through July. You can also build a community “team” by working with friends, family, neighbors or coworkers to make a bigger impact or to lighten your workload.
Why Be A Community Leader?
Migraine is misunderstood, stigmatized, and under-recognized. By speaking up about migraine, you may find many people in your area are being impacted by this disease. You will play a role in educating people on the prevalence of the disease and how severely people can be affected by it. You will help strengthen and grow the migraine community by inspiring others to speak out about their experiences and provide them with the reassurance that they are not alone. For those in your community that do not have migraine, you can help them better understand what life is like for the people in their lives that do have the disease.
The SFM Community Leader Program is what you make of it. If you want a fun way to raise awareness for an important cause, this is it!
Community Leader Application
The application period for the 2023 Community Leaders Program will open again on February 1, 2023!
We are looking for a diverse team of Community Leaders from every corner of the globe. Leaders should:
- Have a passion for and an understanding of migraine
- Be willing to talk to new people and skilled in interpersonal communication (media experience is a plus!)
- Demonstrate creativity, professionalism, and communication skills
Stay up to date with news and information by following Shades for Migraine on social media and signing up for our newsletter.
"This was such a great and fun experience while also making a difference and advocating. I am so happy and excited and it is truly an honor to be a part of the community leader team. I'm really looking forward to next year and have already started to plan!" - Marley R. - 2021 Community Leader
"This is such an amazing cause and being an ambassador made me feel like part of something bigger which was nice to have back after 14 years of chronic illness taking things away." - Danielle R. - 2021 Community Leader
The SFM Community Leader Success Kit
Shades for Migraine is devoted to helping you make your outreach a success! All leaders will be provided with:
- Bulk quantities of SFM sunglasses and educational handouts for giveaways
- T-shirts and pens upon request
- Marketing materials including sample social media posts, flyers, etc.
- Fundraising platform and resources
- Media resources
- Training webinar - leaders will have a chance to meet one another, share ideas and get tips from the SFM team
How can Community Leaders spread the word?
- Distribute sunglasses and resources in your workplace, healthcare centers, schools, churches, pharmacies, neighborhood, sporting events, concerts, kids sports games, on windshields, beaches, parks, shopping malls, etc.
- Contact your local media to feature a story about migraine and Shades for Migraine
- Hold a team fundraiser to represent your state
- Share posts on social media
- Host an event - Taking it to the Streets, yoga class, meditation, migraine-friendly cooking class, Q&A, etc.
- Connect with your local politicians
- Team up with the Migraine At School program
Options are endless, SFM welcomes your creative ideas for raising awareness!
Additional questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.